Foreign Documents

Foreign documents need to be legalized. Official documents are, for example, birth certificates, unmarried status declarations, marriage certificates or diplomas.  During legalization it is established whether the document is issued by the proper person or organization. Legalization is done with a stamp or sticker. After legalization your document is ready for use in the Netherlands.

please check first legalizing-your-documents and  Apostille and legalization info

if the document is written in a language other than English, German or French, a translation must be provided. This translation needs to be done in the Netherlands by a sworn translator.

Lost or stolen documents
Whenever your documents are lost or stolen, always report this first to the police station in the municipality where you live to receive a police declaration.


Not the information you were looking for?