Residence permit

Within Dutch immigration law, you can get a residence permit on many grounds but each purpose of stay has its own conditions. (Note that this information is only of importance if you are a non-EU resident. )

Citizens from EU countries and the European Economic Area and Switzerland are mainly free to move and work in the European Economic Area.

Residence permits for workers are based on the fact that you have already a job and your employer is part of the procedure to get you the work permit and/or residence permit. (Please consult your HR department).

The employer applies for a Single Permit. This is a permit that entitles the foreign national to stay and work in the Netherlands. The Single Permit combines the residence permit and the TWV

The IND asks advice from the Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency (UWV) about the labour market aspect. UWV assesses the request for advice based on the criteria according the Directive. The IND takes a decision based on the advice of UWV. If the decision is positive and the Single Permit is issued, your will be informed by the IND. Residence permits are only applicable if the stay is longer than 3 months. If residing in the Netherlands for less than 4 months or working as a cross border worker (living outside the Netherlands and working in the Netherlands) other rules apply.

Residence purposes for non-EU expats which are handled in the Expat Center Zeeland are: (Please double click for detailed information)

In order to obtain a residence permit a tuberculosis (TB) test is needed. If you submit the completed declaration of intent to undergo a TB test to the IND together with your residence application, the IND will grant you a residence permit as soon as possible. You are granted this permit on the condition that you will actually undergo a TB test within the first three (3) months from arrival. If you fail to do so - despite signing the declaration of intent - your residence permit may be withdrawn.

For the TB test you must make an appointment with the Gemeenschappelijke Gezondheidsdienst, GGD* (Municipal Health Service) in your city of residence -  GGD Zeeland. For this appointment you need to complete the Tuberculosis Examination Referral Form, which will be attached to your residence permit application form and you need to take this to your GGD appointment. This organisation will forward your form, completed in full and signed, to the IND.

Note: The IND will not make the appointment for you! You must make the appointment yourself. Contact Expat Center Zeeland in case you need  assistance.

The obligation to undergo the test does not apply for the following categories:

  • You are a national of one of the exempted countries – please check Exempted countries
  • You have an indefinite residence permit in an EU Member State, EEA Member State or Switzerland.
  • You have an EC residence permit for long-term residents issued by another EU Member State, or if you are a family member of someone who holds this document and you have already been admitted to another EU Member State as a family member of a long-term resident.

*Municipal Health Department (GGD) in Zeeland:
GGD Zeeland
Telephone: + 31 113 249400                                                     
Westwal 37, 4461 CM Goes

Opening times: Monday thru Friday 08:30 – 17:00 
(Paid parking space available next door in parking garage)



Not the information you were looking for?