You wish to gain work experience in the Netherlands as an apprentice (for work purposes). When you are a non-EU/EEA or Swiss Citizen, you need a residence permit for this. You or your employer need to apply for a Single Permit. This is a permit that allows a foreign national to stay and work in the Netherlands. The Single Permit combines the residence permit and the TWV. You only have to apply for one permit, to one authority: the IND. The IND asks advice from the Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency (UWV) about the labour market aspect. UWV assesses the request for advice based on the criteria of the Foreign Nationals Employment Act (Wav). The IND takes a decision on the basis of the advice of the UWV. If the decision is positive and the Single Permit is issued, the IND will inform you accordingly.

The Single Permit consists of a residence permit and an additional document that states for which employer the foreign national is permitted to work and under which conditions.

Apart from the general conditions, there are some additional conditions that apply.


  • You are going to work for a Dutch company to gain the experience needed for your job in your country of origin.
  • You have a apprentice agreement.
  • You have an education plan.
  • You have a return statement.
  • The Dutch organization is entered in the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce (if required by the Trade Registers Act 2007)
  • Your employer declares that he/she is your sponsor.

More information: IND - Apprentice

Not the information you were looking for?